An ultrasound, or a sonogram, is a medical test that capture live images inside your body, using high frequency sounds waves. Ultrasounds are known as one of the safer forms of imaging because, unlike x-rays and other techniques, ultrasounds use no radiation. Using this form of imaging, doctors are able to see issues involving muscles, joints, tendons, organs, vessels, and tissues without having to open up the patient.
Uses of Ultrasounds
- Chiropractic use – Ultrasounds can be used for ultrasound therapy. Chiropractors use ultrasound therapy to reduce muscle pain. This works by using sound waves to deliver heat to treat the tissue and muscles that are in pain. This treatment can reduce swelling, stiffness, and pain. If you are experiencing muscle pain and want to speak with a chiropractor near Centereach about ultrasound therapy, be sure to contact Pernice Chiropractic.
- Pregnancy – This is the most common use for ultrasounds. Since ultrasounds do not use radiation, they are extremely safe for pregnant women and their babies. They can be used to determine due dates, gender, possible birth defects, and placental issues.
- Diagnostic – Doctors can use ultrasound to diagnose different conditions affecting organs and soft tissue. However, there is some limitation, because the sound waves can not go through dense bones or parts of the body that hold air.
Benefits of Ultrasounds
- They are painless and do not require any needles, injections, or incisions.
- Patients are not exposed to radiation like they would be for an x-ray or CT scans.
- You can see soft tissue with ultrasounds, where x-rays don’t show the soft tissues as efficiently.
- They are easily accessible and less expensive than most other methods.
Ultrasounds are a very useful tool for many different types of doctors in the medical field. They can make diagnostics, treat pain, and be useful for pregnant women. For those with muscle pain trying ultrasounds, we’re here to help you. If you are looking for a chiropractor near Centereach, Pernice Chiropractic has decades of experience to help you today. Looking to make an appointment? Contact us today!